Wireless Fire Alarms – Quick Installation

One of the biggest advantages of opting for a wireless fire alarm over a wired system is the speed at which the installation can be carried out.

When installing a wired system, a major concern for the installer is the fear that while he is away from the job, his cables may be boxed in by other trades. Therefore to prevent this from happening the installer has to be present throughout the duration of the job to ensure fire cables are not boxed in or cut by the builders. Furthermore, as with most construction type projects you can usually expect the job to overrun increasing cost for the labour and Prelims.

However, If you compare this to a wireless system, the installer does not have any concerns about looking after their cables, as does not have to be onsite until the latter stages of the project. A wireless engineers attendance is usually after the site has been decorated and is in a clean state.

The reason for this is the engineer can carry out the majority of the work off site. From the comfort of the office or workshop, the engineer can program the devices onto the relevant Translator or Expander, insert the text messages, test the Sounders and enter the cause and effects programming. On completion of all the required testing, the equipment can be powered down and boxed away until the site is ready for the equipment to be installed.

Should there be a delay to the project, this will not affect the fire alarm installation labour cost and prelims. Furthermore, you may find that the client and architects will continually amend the layout design of the building. However, this has little effect on a wireless system, as we do not have to reroute or extend cables.

For this reason, a wireless fire alarm can be installed in a fraction of the time; it would take a wired system.

An example of this is a project where we had to install a wireless system in a temporary media structure. The structure would take three days to build and on the fourth day it would be in use. However, we were informed that we could not able gain access to carry out our works until the third day when the structure would be near completion. As you can see from the video, we did all our work in a remote cabin and on the last day before the media centre became live we installed our equipment, tested the devices in their final positions and completed the commissioning.

The time we spend within the Media centre was no more than half a day.